Speed Enforcement and Traffic Services
The 5-year moving average from 2000 through 2009 shows speed related fatalities are on the rise again. Total fatalities fell from a high of 106 in 2005 to 63 for 2008 but rose to 105 in 2009. Speed enforcement will be integrated into STEP project enforcement criteria in 2012.
The goal of the projects funded in the Speed Enforcement Program is to maintain the number of speeding related fatalities at the five year (2005-2009) average of 87 through 2012.
The strategies of projects for the speeding component are:
- To achieve an average of three vehicle stops per hour during enforcement periods.
- To conduct one wave of increased, high visibility enforcement emphasizing enforcement of speeding laws.
- To conduct PI&E activities as a component of all enforcement projects.
- To conduct a statewide public information and education and enforcement campaign that will emphasize speed laws.
- To conduct sustained low-visibility traffic enforcement using stealth patrol vehicles.