RULES OF THE ROAD LEARN THE LAW SERIES 1
Rules Of The Road 1 - Move Over!
Almost weekly, we hear the headline "officer killed on traffic stop". This has to stop! The "Move Over Law" require drivers, upon noticing either emergency vehicle with sirens and/or flashing lights, to move away from the vehicle by one lane, or if that is not possible, slow down to either a reasonable speed or a fixed speed below the limit as defined by local law.
Please, if you see any vehicle with lights on the side of the road, MOVE OVER or SLOW DOWN!!! You could be saving our life!
27-51-310. Passing authorized vehicle stopped on highway -- Definition
(a) As used in this section, "authorized vehicle" means a vehicle that:
- Displays a flashing, revolving, or rotating blue, red, amber, amber and red, white, or green light; and
- Is one (1) of the following:
- (A) An emergency response vehicle;
- (B) A law enforcement vehicle;
- (C) An Arkansas Department of Transportation vehicle;
- (D) An Arkansas Department of Transportation contractor vehicle;
- (E) A utility company vehicle; or
- (F) A vehicle used in a towing operation as defined under § 27-51-904.
(b) (1) Except as provided under subdivision (b)(2) of this section, the driver of a motor vehicle that is approaching an authorized vehicle that is stopped or parked on a street, road, or highway or on the shoulder of a street, road, or highway shall:
- (A) Move to the farthest possible lane or position from the authorized vehicle;
- (B) Remain in that lane or position until the driver passes the authorized vehicle; and
- (C) Otherwise exercise due caution.
(2) If the driver determines that it is unsafe or not possible to change lanes as required under subdivision (b)(1) of this section, the driver shall:
- (A) Reduce the motor vehicle's speed;
- (B) Exercise due caution; and
- (C) Maintain a reduced speed appropriate to the street, road, or highway and the conditions through the area where the authorized vehicle is stopped or parked.
*Excerpt from: #learnthelawtuesdays
OBEY THE RULES OF THE ROAD
Arkansas State Police Highway Safety Offce